The Human Eye is a Miracle of Design, created by God
By Dr Richard Kent MB BS
The Human Eye
The Human Eye is formed in the womb, and is a miracle of design, created by God!
The NASA Hubble Space 3-Dimensional Satellite system is the most sophisticated 3D camera system on Earth!
By comparison, the human eye is MUCH more sophisticated!
The Human Eye is created by God, and is a complete miracle of Creation
The human eye grows from a single cell, repairs itself, and is tiny by comparison to the Hubble Space Telescope!
It also scans far faster than the Hubble Space Telescope!
The human eye has three different types of movement to continually scan the surroundings in three dimensions!
The two eyes operate as two separate Two- Dimensional cameras operating simultaneously, giving Three-Dimensional images to the brain!
The Eye Muscles
For humans to be able to see while moving, the brain must compensate for the motion of the head, by turning the eyes, using the very complicated eye muscles!
- The Fovea is an area of the retina with a very high visual acuity, and covers about 2 degrees of visual angle in humans.
- To get a clear view of the world, the brain must turn the eyes so that the image of the object being watched falls on the fovea.
- Eye movements are thus very important for visual perception.
- Because we have two eyes the brain must point both eyes accurately enough that the object being watched falls on corresponding points of the two retinas, otherwise, double vision would occur.
God has designed human eyes as two very sophisticated two-dimensional cameras, which the brain then transforms into three-dimensional digital images!
How the eye actually works
- Light is allowed into the eye through transparent skin, the conjunctiva and the cornea.
- The cornea causes accommodation of the light rays onto the lens, which makes fine adjustments.
- To prevent over or under exposure, only sufficient light must enter the eye!
- The pupil is the central hole in the Iris, which adjusts in size according to the light intensity.
- The ciliary muscles around the iris either contract or lengthen, to adjust the size of the pupil.
- The lens accommodates the light onto the retina at the back of the eye.
- The rods and cones within the retina convert light energy into electrical impulses, which travel up the optic nerve to the visual cortex of the brain.
- The visual cortex of the brain converts the left and right eye electrical information into three-dimensional vision.
Both eyes have water jets and windscreen washers!
Light is converged by the curvature of the cornea, and the lens, to form an image on the retina, which is actually upside down!
The retina can distinguish about 10 million colours!
The Retina converts light into electronic impulses, which are transmitted to the Visual Cortex via the Optic Nerves
The Retina is made up of specialised cells called rods and cones
Rods and Cones
The formation of electrical impulses in the retina is incredibly complex! There are multiple chemical stages for light to be converted into electrical impulses, which are sent to the brain via the optic nerves.
The image is processed by the retina at the back of the eye into electrical impulses. The electrical impulses are transmitted to the Visual Cortex at the back of the brain
This is a Neuron, a brain cell, with highly complex electrical and chemical activity to communicate with other neurons!
The visual cortex then communicates with the rest of the brain, so that we all know exactly where we are in time and space!
The Human Eye is one of many examples of Irreducible Complexity.
In the case of a mousetrap, it has several different moving parts. The mousetrap will not function as a mousetrap unless all of the different parts are working.
In the case of the eye, an eye can either see, or not see!
If the eye is not fully functional, it is not a useful organ, and the animal, fish, bird, or human will, from an evolutionary perspective, be unlikely to survive!
A blind rabbit is very unlikely to survive in the English countryside!
Evolutionists and the eye
In the case of the eye, evolutionist believe that the eye evolved over millions of years
As shown in the above diagram, evolutionist believe that
- A region of photosensitive cells developed called photoreceptors.
- A depressed area of skin developed, with transparent skin!
- This developed into a pinhole primitive eye.
- A transparent “humour” developed in the enclosed chamber.
- A distinct lens evolved.
- The iris and cornea developed.
- This image does not include the all-important rods and cones which convert light energy into electrical energy!
However, it is true that Charles Darwin, the founder of modern-day evolution, had some problems with the evolution of the eye!
Charles Darwin wrote:
“To suppose that the eye with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light, and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest degree.”
– Charles Darwin in The Origin of Species, J. M. Dent & Sons Ltd, London, 1971, p. 167. (p. 18 of The Revised Quote Book)
From a Biblical perspective, God created everything!
In the beginning was the Word (Jesus Christ) , and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.
This includes the eye, which is immensely complex, and is an example of irreducible complexity.
God created both eyes and ears!
The hearing ear and the seeing eye,
The LORD has made them both.
God also created Light!
And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. Genesis 1:3
Light is made up of photons moving in a wave form
God created light, and the Rainbow has SEVEN colours
Seven is the number of spiritual perfection in the Bible, and in Nature:
- Seven days in the week
- Seven notes in music
- Seven colours in the rainbow
- Seven throughout the Bible.
The whole design of the human eye was created by God, and programmed into our individual DNA in every cell.
DNA, the genetic code is in every cell of our bodies!
We should thank God for His creation of light, and eyes to see His Creation all around us!
I hope you have enjoyed this teaching and associated YouTube videos
God bless you!
Dr Richard Kent MB BS
If you have any comments or questions, please send an e-mail to: [email protected]